NEW HANOVER COUNTY, N.C. – New Hanover County Emergency Management officials will open the following emergency shelter at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 8, 2016 to assist those to assist those in low lying areas and areas prone to flooding.
Codington Elementary School
4321 Carolina Beach Road
Wilmington, NC 28412
This is in addition to the following shelters already open:
Johnson Pre-K Center
1100 McRae Street
Wilmington, NC 28401
Trask Middle School
2900 N. College Road
Wilmington, NC 28405
Public shelters should be considered “shelters of last resort” with very basic provisions for a safe and dry environment and limited meal capabilities.
Officials encourage those that live in areas prone to flooding, mobile homes or other structures that may not withstand strong wind or high water leave their homes prior to the impact of Hurricane Matthew.
Remember Your Pets:
Trask Middle School, a pet co-location shelter, is available to house cats and dogs. Animals will be maintained in a separate wing of the facility, and owners are allowed visitation at designated times.
If you’re leaving town or staying in a location that does not welcome pets, residents have the option of taking their pet to the New Hanover County Animal Services Unit at 180 Division Drive. Pet owners may wish to consider pet boarding services. Owners are responsible for providing a crate for their pet.
**Shelter Fact Sheet**
Public shelters should be considered “shelters of last resort” with very basic provisions for a safe and dry environment and limited meal capabilities. Residents are encouraged to bring the following items for you and each of your family members. Pet owners should also bring medications and/or food for special dietary needs.
• Sleeping bag, bedroll, or sheets and blankets and pillows.
• Prescription medications in their original bottle.
• Items that infants and elderly household members may require.
• Extra clothing, hygiene supplies, and other comfort items.
• Personal identification, checkbook, cash, and credit cards.
• Snacks or comfort foods or any special dietary foods (prepackaged foods only)
• Time occupiers; books, magazines, games or cards.
Items that are strictly prohibited include:
• Alcohol/illegal drugs
Other items you should consider:
• Social Security card
• Proof of residence
• Insurance policies and contact telephone numbers for your insurance company
• Birth and marriage certificates
• Stocks, bonds, and other negotiable certificates
• Wills, deeds, and copies of recent tax returns
# # #