Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program begins February 1
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – Beginning February 1 and running through April 15, New Hanover County residents can receive free tax preparation and filing by a trained and IRS-certified volunteer through New Hanover County’s Senior Resource Center.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) service is available at three locations in New Hanover County:
- New Hanover County Senior Resource Center (2222 S. College Road, Wilmington)
- Hours: Mon., Wed. & Fri., 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; Tues. & Thurs., 11 a.m.-6 p.m
- New Hanover County Downtown Library (201 Chestnut Street, Wilmington)
- Hours: Mon.-Fri., 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m
- Town of Carolina Beach (300 Cape Fear Blvd., Carolina Beach)
- Hours: Mon.-Fri., noon-4 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-noon
“We have around 50 certified tax preparers across our three locations that can answer questions and prepare personal income taxes,” said Senior Resource Center Director Amber Smith. “Last year, this program assisted taxpayers with 5,000 federal and state returns, and is a great resource for our community.”
There are no pre-scheduled appointments, but individuals can sign up, in person, for a timeslot beginning at 8 a.m. each morning. After signing up, individuals can leave and return 20 minutes before their scheduled time.
Taxpayers should bring the following documents:
- Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security cards or equivalent for ALL taxpayers and dependents
- Proof of health insurance coverage: Forms 1095A, B or C; Marketplace exemption letter
- Copy of last year’s income tax return
- Income documents—Forms W2, SSA, 1099R, 1099G W2G, other 1099 forms, self-employment income, or documents relating to any other income
- Brokerage statements—sale of stock and bonds
- Educational expenses
- If you want to itemize expenses you will need: Detailed list and receipts for medical expenses, charitable contributions, real estate taxes and mortgage interest (form 1098)
- For direct deposit of refund, you will need a check or deposit slip from your bank with the routing number for your account
For more information, visit the Senior Resource Center website or call 910-798-6406.
« Back to news overview