Public Health encourages continued COVID-19 safety measures over holiday weekend
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – New Hanover County Health and Human Services’ Public Health officials are urging residents to continue COVID-19 safety measures over Independence Day weekend, especially residents that are not yet fully vaccinated, as increased tourism and community events bring more activity to the area.
“Although, we’ve made great strides in vaccinating our community, we know that there is still a percentage of our residents that have not yet received the COVID-19 vaccine,” said Public Health Director David Howard. “Large gatherings and increased travel that we typically see around holidays like Independence Day can pose increased risks for unvaccinated people and our community. Enjoy this weekend but be mindful as you celebrate – stay home if you are sick, practice social distancing on beaches and other crowded areas, continue to wear a mask if you are unvaccinated, and find a convenient location to get your COVID-19 vaccine if you haven’t already.”
COVID-19 Data in New Hanover County:
- As of June 30, there have been 19,785 total cases of COVID-19 in New Hanover County, including 31 new cases over the last week.
- Of the total number of cases, 19,509 have recovered and 97 cases are presumed to still be active. Sadly, 177 people have died from the virus.
- In New Hanover County, approximately 119,098 residents (about 51 percent) have received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, and approximately 112,985 residents (about 48 percent) are fully vaccinated and protected from COVID-19.
- In the state’s County Alert System, New Hanover County remains in the Light Yellow tier, signifying moderate community spread of COVID-19. The county’s current metrics in the system update are as follows:
- 14-day case rate per 100,000 people: 37.50
- 14-day percent positivity: 1.7%
- Hospital impact: Slight
NHC Public Health COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics
- Health and Human Services Health Clinic (1650 Greenfield Street)
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Independence Mall (3500 Oleander Drive)
- Tuesday and Thursday, from noon to 7 p.m.
« Back to news overview